Sunday, June 11, 2006

Pixar... Lesson Learned


We took Cora to see the movie "CARS" Saturday evening. It was good family entertainment. Pixar some how can take an inanimate object and make you care for them. Care for a car? Yeah. How about when the rusty old, hilbilly tow truck tells Lighting McQueen, the rookie shiny red sports car, "I knew I was right about you." And McQueen asks about what. Matar's response: "That you would be my best friend." When that happens you realize, hey, this story like all the other Pixar movies has a heart.

Pixar's mantra? Don't rush art. They give every movie a heart. Didn't we feel sorry for Dory, the blue forgetful fish in FINDING NEMO, when she told Nemo's dad that with him she felt like she was home. Or when Mr. Incredible looks at his wife Elastigirl and screams "I can't loose you!" How about when Mike and Sulley in Monster's Inc. have to say goodbye to Boo? Didn't you feel sorry for Woody when Buzz LightYear was taking his place? All these tug at our heart. A cartoon. Animation. Computer graphics on a film strip moving us...somewhere.

So what do i take from this? The medium is not as important as the message. the vessel is not as important as the cargo. The packaging is not as important as the item itself. Every Wednesday night, and any other opportunity for that matter, that I have to teach, guide, encourage, push my teens to a better, deeper relationship with God-- I have to focus on the what is important. The heart of the matter. Sure I'll spend time on the presentation. Making it eye catching. Enjoyable. Interesting. But the main thing will remain the main thing. The message... the good news... the heart of it all.

Who knows, maybe one night I'll figure out a way to put a monster, a bug, a car, a fish and a superhero into my illustration. Till then, it's Jenga, costumes, and power point presentations... right? right? anyone?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interestedhttp://googleindex.info/2170.html or http://google-index.info/575.html and http://indexmachine.info/26.html