Friday, July 27, 2007

lemme share something

I was studying for next Wednesday. We will be discussing Moses. And I ran across this and thought I would share:

"Within both Egyptian and Hebrew culture it was believed that a person's name revealed the very essence of one bearing it. It is for that reason that the Bible will sometimes explain a name (such as that of Moses, for example) or it will recount the changing of a name to better reflect a person (such as when Jacob became Israel and Abram became Abraham).
The ancient Egyptians and Hebrews took their belief that a name was to be the exact representation of the person one step further. They believed that to know a person's name was to know that person wholly and utterly, even to the extent of sometimes having power and authority over that person." from the devotion
"I AM WHO I AM"

This makes the request Moses made of God even more profound. When Moses saw the burning bush and turned towards it, God called to Moses. He gave Moses the charge to go back to Egypt. AND THEN Moses asked, "Whom shall I say is sending me?" In a nutshell Moses was saying: I want to KNOW you. I want to know the real you. I want to wholly and utterly know God.

This in it of itself is amazing. From the get go, Moses wanted more than a superficial relationship with God. He wanted to know his NAME. His very being. His essence. His power. His authority.

Learn from Moses. Follow his lead. ASK GOD QUESTIONS. Get to know Him. Test Him. Confront Him. Turn around and see the burning bush. And when He calls your name, say "Here I Am."

No comments: