Wednesday, March 01, 2006

:[running hard after God]:

To date I have participated in six 5 k races. The 2004 and 2005 bridge run over in Savannah hosted by Enmark, the 2004, 2005, and 2006 Tybee Run hosted by Memorial health and the 2005 City Market Run. I love running (or jogging, which better describes what I am doing). I can not do justice how I feel as I move with this mass of people toward our goal. Everyone has the same goal in mind. Everyone wants to win (or rather finish). Adrenaline rush is right.
Psalms 63.8 says "my soul follows hard after thee" [KJV]. Following hard? Not just following. Not meandering. Not strolling along. But following hard. Running hard after God. That is an awesome thought.
But why run? Is he running away form us? Does he not want to be caught? Why is he even moving? Shouldn't he be in one place at all times?
God himself does not change. But he continuely does new things. And for our relationship with him to grow and deepen, I believe he continuely moves. When Cora started crawling we owuld put something in front of her to entice her to crawl froward. Then she began wlaking and I would get in front of her saying, "Come on, Cora" with my hands outstreched. And sometimes when she was close enough I would take one more step back. It made her push herself. No she runs everywhere (a falls a lot).
God is in front of us, saying, "Come on!" And everytime we get close enough (read as, everytime we think we know Him) He "changes." He reveals somethign new. he takes one more step back so we can continuely run after Him. It makes the relationship vibrant. It certainly isn't dull and boring.
So, then, do you want to run hard after God? Well, do you even want to run? I mean, the activation energy needed to get us off the couch, put on some sneakers and get out the door is great. So is the activation energy needed to start a deep relationship with God. But it's worth it. Run after HIm. Run hard after God.

No comments: